Photo via Dinner4Two.com
In this music series, we are exploring the various moments in your wedding (ceremony, first dance, etc.) where you can avoid clichés and make a statement with your music choices. If you missed it, you can read the posts on Bridal Processionals and Bridal Party Processionals to catch up. Enjoy!
In the last two posts, we leaned hard into the idea of staying unique. With this one, we are getting more at the core of what makes you two a perfect couple, regardless of whether it has been used to death. In all honesty, the song for the first dance might be the hardest song you choose at your wedding, especially if you’re both huge music buffs. Here are some of our recommendations for you:
- All of Me – John Legend: Since this song came out around three years ago, we’ve heard this song at almost every wedding we’ve attended. And keep in mind, there are wedding photographers on the Gala Pal team, so that’s saying something. If you want to stay current, we suggest this song. It’s sweet and acknowledges that there’s work involved in relationships. No one is perfect, but we can love each other anyway. If that means something to you and your relationship, consider using this song.
- Heroes – The Wallflowers: If there’s a song out there that can make you feel close to immortal, this is it. If you want to celebrate how much your wedding day means to you, pick this song. A good example of this? Have you had to jump a lot of obstacles to get to your wedding day (more than just a hard time choosing cake flavors)? Did you battle an illness as a team? Live through grief from losing a loved one? Celebrate your strength as a couple with this song. Below is the version by The Wallflowers that we love, but feel free to choose the David Bowie version, as well.
- Do You Remember? – Jack Johnson: Have you two known each other since you were kids? Do you want to focus on the sweetness of your life together up to this moment? If so, then this is definitely a good song to consider.
Our Runners Up, aka Songs That Are Also Pretty Sweet to (First) Dance To:
- Tupelo Honey – Van Morrison
- Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
- Hold You in My Arms – Ray LaMontagne
- Wild Horses – The Sundays
- Moon River – Audrey Hepburn
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- I Wanna Grow Old With You – Adam Sandler
Oh, and here’s a really fantastic list from Offbeat Bride. The main thing is to find a song that is utterly and unquestionably the two of you. Take an hour on a weekend to hash out what message you want to send with your song, amass a list of possible songs, and pick it out that day. Once you decide, don’t change your mind. Own it!
What song would you want playing for your first dance? Are you thinking of going in a different direction than we are? Let us know in the comments!